Living a Healthy Lifestyle with Chiropractic
The daily bump and grind of everyday life can put tremendous stress on the musculoskeletal system. However, the routine practice of some simple precautionary measures can help to minimize the strain on your body and maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- It is easy to compromise the natural curve of the spine by sleeping in an unnatural position. Choose a pillow and a mattress that support your neck and back properly and enhance the quality of your sleep.
- Problems with posture can aggravate existing ailments, so it is important to have proper posture and support while sitting, standing, and walking.
- Choose a chair that provides lumbar support and suitable cushioning to relieve pressure on joints.
- The right shoes are essential for skeletal health as the feet are the foundation of your body and need to be well supported. Dr. Alexander can quickly determine if the shoes you wear are helping or hurting your spinal health.
- Manual labor is one of the primary causes of trauma to the system. However, observation of good work technique can help reduce the chance of injury.
- Bending at the knees – whether it be to lift a heavy box or stooping to pull weeds – is always the safe alternative to bending at the waist.
- Limit any rotation of the spine while in the process of lifting, as rotating is an easy way to cause subluxations between the vertebrae.
- Make sure to use tools such as hand trucks and dollies whenever possible to minimize the strain on your body.
Above all, if you experience any injury or insult to your skeletal system, get it checked out immediately. The sooner Dr. Alexander can address the problem, the less collateral damage, and the sooner you can get back to living life!